Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: how to give up a pet you love
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:40 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I thought I was ready to give the rest of my tiels away but half way there I just broke into pieces. Im back home with my 6 tiels. I dont even know what I want anymore. Im so confused and this whole situation is really stressing me. I have no clue what I want anymore. Im thinking maybe I just shouldn't have a pet. I get too attached to them. I dont want cockatiels but I do.

Post subject: Re: how to give up a pet you love
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Pets have a very important role in our lives, especially for people who have trouble with human relationships. We need the companionship they provide. Honestly I think it's good that you're keeping your cockatiels, because they have been very important to you in the past. I think they're still important to you now but you're going through a stage where it's hard for you to see that. So just hold on to them for now, spend some time with them to see if you can rediscover the joy they used to give you, and don't be in a hurry to give up any of your birds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:23 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
I know how it feels to remove a pet from your life when you don't really have to.

I had a dog (Jack Russel Terrier) who was 7 years of age when my baby girl was born. She was very interested in that little creature moving about, even from before she could walk or crawl. But the dog was unreliable, specially around food or when he was sleeping. I knew if I did not do something sooner or later my daughter would crawl towards him and get a snap or worse in return.

So I decided to relocate him after I tried neutering him.

I couldn't do it myself, so I had my wife and my late father-in-law take him. I asked them to tell the new owner I did not want any updates, be they good or bad.

I still think about my little monster sometimes, and I miss him. But when I look at my daughter, who is now scar-free I still think I made the right decision.

Since your birds aren't really a problem as such. I would hang on to them a little longer. Specialy since what you describe tells you that you still have feelings for them.

Even if it hurts, I think it's a good thing that you feel pain after separation with a pet. You wouldn't be a good owner if you didn't feel that.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck! Don't question yourself too much, if possible, it only makes the chaos of emotions worse. My advice would be to make a decison based on what you have felt so far and throw in what you think on the other side of the scale, let it tip to one side or the other and go forward shortly after that. Don't let the scales go back an forth for to long, you'll lose track of what you really want.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:29 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Bjornlefevre wrote:
Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck! Don't question yourself too much, if possible, it only makes the chaos of emotions worse. My advice would be to make a decison based on what you have felt so far and throw in what you think on the other side of the scale, let it tip to one side or the other and go forward shortly after that. Don't let the scales go back an forth for to long, you'll lose track of what you really want.

:cheery: Agree 100%

Just think it through. I went through the same thing with Mackenzie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:08 pm 
Conure
Conure

Thanks guys. The main reason I want to give my tiels away is because I lost motivation to feed and clean them. I still feed them but it takes great effort. Sometimes its hard to feed the sun conure as well. I am not taking good care of my bird to be honest. I would like to only have 1 bird that will live in the house with me, I think thats a good idea. I have a big cage that the sun vonurr is living in right now in my room. I have an air purifier. I clean everything very well. I dont see why I wouldn't be able to let him live in my room forever. I need a pet indoors. Sometimes I dont have motivation to go outside In my aviary which results in me not playing with my birds which leads to me feeling more lonely than what I already am. I think I can convince my mom and dad to let him stay. I just dont know how to part with my tiels. Its so hard to give a pet up. It makes me feel better that they will go to a better home with susanne but I still cant bring myself to do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:33 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

I love having my birds in the house. When I get my tiny house, my aviary will obviously be attached to the house.

I honestly think given your conditions, one bird would be good for you. Perhaps multiples are too much effort for you and you would prefer just your sun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:37 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

AND, remember, you said if you wanted you tiels back, Susanne would give them to you, so that's a good thing to think about.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:10 pm 
Conure
Conure

I agree. One bird is perfect for me. im thinking 9 birds isnt good for me as it has been a year ago. I have changed a lot since. I have thought about susanne giving them back if I wanted them but it still doesnt make me feel better. I dont think I can live a day without seeing their faces. I dont know what can numb my love for them just so that I can give thdm to her.

Next time i decide to give them away i am not going. I think it will be better if my mom goes by herself. It would be much easier for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:55 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Quote:
Next time i decide to give them away i am not going. I think it will be better if my mom goes by herself. It would be much easier for me.

That is true, you still feel horrible about it but you can't turn around halfway through your decision and start thinking it over again. You know they'll be in a good place. And sounds like you will be able to be happy about not having to look after them anymore, still knowing they're ok!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:56 pm 
Conure
Conure

I agree. Im working on finding a way to let my parents let me keep the the sun conure inside the house. This is seriously going to be such an easy task.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next