Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: I want a dog!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Kids are cutest when they're little, but that's also when they make the most work for you. Trust me, you would NOT want a child who was a preschooler forever, because you can't legally lock them in a cage when you need some downtime like you can with a bird. If you establish a good relationship with them (as opposed to going on a parental-domination power trip) it's very rewarding as they evolve over time into real people that you can have an adult conversation with.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:02 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
I adopted a dog myself, a 4,5 year old Rhosedian Ridgeback.

I didn't change his name, he's called IZE (pronounced like E - Say)

We both (me and my wife that is) like dogs but I do think we won't get another one soon after this one.

The hairs in the house are one reason, not being able to travel (unless you commit to taking the dog with you or put him in a hostel or something for the time you're away) another. Also there's the pain you feel after they die... I still miss my first dog (a jack russel terrier, called ARI) from when I was younger:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:55 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
tielfan wrote:
I may as well let you guys know that whatever you think about wanting or not wanting kids when you're a teenager may not be what you'll do in the long run (as long as you're not actively trying to have them WHILE you're a teenager). People change a LOT as they mature, and the things you want right now are probably different in many ways from what you're going to want 10 or more years from now. Ditto for pets and jobs and all kinds of things. When you reach the point where you can actually make your own choices without needing the permission of your parents, you may choose something different than what you want right now.
:applaud:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:04 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I wonder where all the thoughts about not wanting children coming from when people are 15-20 yo. I never even asked myself when I was that age :) When my best friend had her child at the age of 24, I came to visit her in the hospital with another our classmate who had her child when we were 20. They were talking about newborns, while I was standing and thinking: "what the hell are they talking about??? get me out of here!". Interesting enough, but the girl who became a mother when we were only 20, made an excellent career as a doctor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:43 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Bjornlefevre wrote:
I adopted a dog myself, a 4,5 year old Rhosedian Ridgeback.

I didn't change his name, he's called IZE (pronounced like E - Say)

We both (me and my wife that is) like dogs but I do think we won't get another one soon after this one.

The hairs in the house are one reason, not being able to travel (unless you commit to taking the dog with you or put him in a hostel or something for the time you're away) another. Also there's the pain you feel after they die... I still miss my first dog (a jack russel terrier, called ARI) from when I was younger:

That dog is just pure gorgeous lovely dog :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:44 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Bjornlefevre, great pictures! ARI seems to be large on the closeup picture, but on the last one he is tiny. Is this your child on the second picture's background?
The dogs are gorgeous.

I have never been a pet person until I got rabbits and then birds only 3.5 year ago. They are my only pets (not counting the cat when I was a toddler so I don't remember much)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:00 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Yes, that's my son in the background. His name is Wolf :bigsmile100:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:19 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Thanks everyone.

I went to the dog park almost every day this week. I already made many dog lover friends. The first dog I saw their jumped on my knees and licked my face. I met another owner of a dog which I met twice already. I'm going to get some experience before I offer to walk it dog sit any of their dogs for free. I want a bit more experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:13 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I agree with Tielfan.. make your choices when your older and have the time, money, and a safe environment, for both dogs and children...
What you consider at your age B will change in time...
I've had 2 Labradors, 2 poodles and a small mixed breed dog... thro my life... Oh and a daughter...give it time...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:59 am 
Egg
Egg

Name: Rhonda
Gave happy chirps: 14 times
Got happy chirps: 1 time
Stephanie, you sound like my daughter, who is 16. She said she wants kids, but only until they turn 5. I told her kids couldn't be traded when you the new wears off. Lol. She loves kids, but like everyone, she's fascinated with the "baby stage". By the time she finishes medical school, or sooner, she will understand that the bond just gets stronger as the baby grows up:)

Some people are happy being childless for life. For some, it's the financial concerns, or the world being so ridiculously cruel at times. For others, it just the lack of desire for a lifelong responsibility for another human life. I, on the other hand, have only one child (and two soon to be step children), but would have had a houseful if, medically, I could have.

You have plenty of time to live life a little before you make that decision. I'm glad you are thinking it through carefully, though. Too many teenagers give birth before they truly are ready.

Profile E-mail  

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next