All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Happy Holidays
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:34 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I hope everyone on here is having good holidays.

For Christmas, all my birds got new cages!

Well, as far as they knew. What actually happened is that I had the four birds out, they started exploring each others' cages, and I thought it might be interesting for them to live in the other cage for a week or two. And, the new cage is in a different part of the room. So, the cockatiels are now in the budgie cage (the Vision cage) by the window, and the budgies are in the flight cage under the Featherbrite lights.

I know that the Vision cage is supposed to be a little small for two cockatiels. But, they seem happy enough, and they do get lots of outside cage time.

I wish I could post a picture, but my camera batteries are dead. Maybe later. I do think they look really cute.

Post subject: Re: Happy Holidays
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It sounds like they're having a great time! Birds who get a lot of out of cage time sometimes seem to prefer a small cage for at least some of their in-cage time, especially at night. Maybe it feels cozy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:06 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Coco is like that too; he is almost never in his "big" cage, and instead spends the whole day with me, outside the cage (of course). Only thing I do, is set up his travel cage and he just sleeps in there then he's ready to do anything and everything the next day:

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:24 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Nothing is right or wrong for our birds....
its what suits them and you...
Coco is a very happy looking bird...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:04 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I have Alex and Lucy out about half the time, because they tend to get into everything, and I don't have the energy to keep them in check 24/7. They have a decently size cage, but I'm still looking to get something at least a little bigger, so they can have more room to stretch her wings.

I tried putting them on the perch stand above Dudley's cage, with food and water, but apparently that wasn't good enough. :lol: Alex preferred to be on top of Joey's/finch cage (they share a cage now), and Lucy just wanted to climb everywhere and get into everything.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:32 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I know what you mean about keeping up with them. I regretfully had mine clipped about a month ago, for that reason. Things have been much more manageable. Not that I'm recommending clipping your birds. It's a very personal decision, and there are valid arguments on both sides!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:33 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Lucy's already clipped, but her feathers are starting to grow back. It looks very strange when she stretches her wings, with one full flight feather sticking out on each wing. I don't want to get any blood feathers, so I think I'll wait until she feathers out first.

Alex hasn't been clipped yet, but he's still working on his aim. I'm waiting until he's weaned and better at flying, before deciding on whether or not I clip him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm glad you're letting Alex be full flighted for now, because learning to fly is good for both their physical and mental health. Physically it builds muscles and coordination of course. Mentally it builds their confidence and their ability to decide to do something and then carry it out. Because it's not enough to know how to fly; they also have to know where they want to go and what they're going to do when they get there. Babies that aren't allowed to fledge properly miss out on this.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:43 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

He seems to have "knowing where to go" down for the most part. because it mainly involves either my head, my mother's head, or the microwave. :lol:

He seems to do better with long distances than short distances, ironically. Once, he tried to fly from the perch to the open doorway of the cage, but over-jumped it by just a little, fell, and before he could actually hit the ground, he started flapping his wings, and flew through the kitchen and diner.

When he and Lucy fly at the same time by being startled or something, Lucy goes directly to a certain place, while Alex flies all over the place. He's getting better though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:13 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Silver was like that when he was young. He would fly to get somewhere he wanted, and ended up in the hallway, looking surprised. It's nice to remember his awkward younger days. He's a very good flyer now.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]