Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: I Just Left My Birds
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:40 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Im so stressed out. My friend, who I left my tiels with, just sent me this picture:

He said: "They love me already"

I'm flipping!!! It's supposed to be night time, we agreed! So much for trusting.

Although he was the only one that agreed to keep them inside his house and feed them every day, I just feel so weird, like, what do I do now? I feel like poop without my birds. Darn.

Post subject: Re: I Just Left My Birds
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:22 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
That is always annoying when the sitter doesn't follow the routine. Birds especially, because they prefer routine.

The best you can do is try to explain to him that it'd be best to keep them on a schedule. That. and probably check in daily to make sure they're alright and he doesn't screw up.

Though I am surprised to see Pip on him like that. Last you told me about him, he wasn't quite tame. Was that your doing, or is your friend just lucky?

If you don't mind me asking, how long are you staying?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:20 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Pip is starting to get used to me and to other people.

I'm staying till the 28th of this month. I guess it's like, 15 days?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
He might be breaking your rules, but to me this picture is a good sign. Obviously this is a guy who likes birds, so he will probably take better care of them than someone who doesn't care about birds and is basically just storing them for you until you come back. What's most important is for him to be careful about feeding them and keeping them safe. Staying up past their bedtime won't do any lasting damage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:00 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I agree with Carolyn. It doesn't seem so bad to me. I always go in my room and turn on the lights when I need to and nothing happens to my bird. Nothing will happen to them. Just try to relax and enjoy your trip.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:28 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Now that I have Rocko,Loki and Mango I would not be able to go on holidays without bringing at least 1 of them with me which would most likely be Rocko but probably Mango so the two tiels can have each other.Does anybody have an estimate of how much it would cost to bring a bird on holiday with you? And do they sit with you on the plane?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you want to take birds on a plane, the cost and the details of how you do it will depend on the airline. In the US, you can usually bring a bird into the cabin with you if it's in a carrier that will fit under the seat. The carrier will have to go through the xray machine and obviously you have to take the bird out while that happens. You take your birds out on a leash all the time anyway so that won't be a problem for you. But for people who don't have a harness or flight suit, they have to figure out how to remove the bird from the carrier without the bird getting loose and flying all over the airport. Sometimes the airport people will let you have an inspection in a private room but sometimes they won't.

It's also possible to transport birds and other pets in the cargo hold, but obviously you won't know what the conditions are like in there.

If you're traveling internationally, you'd need to check on what the rules are for taking birds into another country and bringing them back. There are a LOT of restrictions on transporting parrots related to conservation treaties, and many countries have quarantine restrictions for birds that you can legally bring with you. I haven't looked up the EU rules so I don't know whether they have relaxed standards for EU citizens bringing their pets with them, as opposed to somebody who's actually importing a parrot from outside the EU.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:19 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Wow imagine a Parrot flying all over the airport you would be so devastated if that happened.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:54 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
I think he was trying to cheer you up and show you they are okay n not upset.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:56 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
tielfan wrote:
If you want to take birds on a plane, the cost and the details of how you do it will depend on the airline. In the US, you can usually bring a bird into the cabin with you if it's in a carrier that will fit under the seat. The carrier will have to go through the xray machine and obviously you have to take the bird out while that happens. You take your birds out on a leash all the time anyway so that won't be a problem for you. But for people who don't have a harness or flight suit, they have to figure out how to remove the bird from the carrier without the bird getting loose and flying all over the airport. Sometimes the airport people will let you have an inspection in a private room but sometimes they won't.

It's also possible to transport birds and other pets in the cargo hold, but obviously you won't know what the conditions are like in there.

If you're traveling internationally, you'd need to check on what the rules are for taking birds into another country and bringing them back. There are a LOT of restrictions on transporting parrots related to conservation treaties, and many countries have quarantine restrictions for birds that you can legally bring with you. I haven't looked up the EU rules so I don't know whether they have relaxed standards for EU citizens bringing their pets with them, as opposed to somebody who's actually importing a parrot from outside the EU.

Yea like canada requires you to own bird atleast 90 days and has to have a health check. Which is why we didn't get a bird till after our trip last yr.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]