All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Mouse nest
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:09 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
They live under my front porch. I saw a mouse who must be the mom before, and was trying to catch her with live trap to relocate to the wild area but didn't succeed. I guess she was too busy tending to her youth. 2 days ago I saw the little ones starting coming out of the hole, they became more active since then. Right now the babies are about one inch long (without tail), furred and look like adults except for their size. I am afraid to think how many there are there. I saw 3 or 4 at the same time running on the ground. If I stand on top of the porch still and quiet, they don't sense me there and I can see them very well when they come out to explore.
I would like to catch them live and take them to wildlife park.
My question is if I need to wait a little to allow them some time to grow more and adjust to eat on their own.
No idea if she still nurses them.
How long do you think I should wait?

There is plenty of seeds on the ground that I throw to wild birds after cockatiels. that's why she probably settled there. But I can't imagine what they are going to do when they are completely out of the nest and ready to be on their own. I am frightened of that moment.

Post subject: Re: Mouse nest
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't know much about the life cycle of mice, but if they're still hanging around with their mother they're probably dependent on her for something. I don't know if she's still nursing them, but even if they're weaned they might still be learning things from her. It's probably best to wait until they're bigger.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:08 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I just hope it doesn't go too far...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:56 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mice can be a problem. Is there a way to make the area under the porch less inviting to mice? Getting a cat or dog would probably do it, but they probably wouldn't be compatible with your rabbits and you might not want to have another pet.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

of course, I can do something to that area (husband offered pour hot watwer into the hole) but right now I am talking about.... hmmm..not harming then but letting them grow into adult mice that definitely WILL be a problem. I can trap the mom and relocate her and give youth hard times growing, but I guess it's not humane.

Not feeding wild birds would be another helpful thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not talking about harming the mice either, just maybe doing something to make life less comfortable under the porch after the babies have grown up. Like maybe putting a layer of paving stones so it's basically a paved surface under there. You might have to check occasionally to make sure they didn't manage to burrow under it somehow. Home Depot has paving stones for $1.21 each, and each one covers about a square foot.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/11-7-8-in-x- ... /100333084

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:32 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 1 time
Hmm, I'd try to catch them while they're young and easier to catch. If they're eating food, they can probably live without the mom's milk. If you see them walking around, they might be looking for food.

We have a rat problem because all the bird seed outside :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have pocket mice in the back yard which is probably related to bird seed. I also have pack rats in the side yard but I don't think that has anything to do with bird seed. They're just part of the desert environment. There's a local exterminator who specializes in pack rats. He kills them humanely and gives the carcasses to a wildlife rehabilitator to feed to the raptors, which is pretty cool IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:19 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Pippi wrote:
Hmm, I'd try to catch them while they're young and easier to catch. If they're eating food, they can probably live without the mom's milk. If you see them walking around, they might be looking for food.

We have a rat problem because all the bird seed outside :P
I don't know if there is any difference in how easy you can catch them while they are small.
But, I definitely don't like that I would have to release them individually in the park full of danger where they will be disoriented and each would be alone.
Yes, the little once explore and looking for food, but I think mom still feeds them. Usually I see just the mom outside eating. I had rabbit kits, and they were eating mom's milk longer than the stage when they started to explore and nibble on food

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:21 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

It's funny that I can stand still on the top stair and they don;t know I am there and they come out and play.

Page 1 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next