All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mouse nest
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:35 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
strange, but I don't see the little ones anymore. I see the only adult size mouse who seems to be a mom, I wonder if something happened and the babies died... Or maybe they just come out to play at different time. I was expecting to see them more and more each day but an opposite happening.

A porch is a huge piece of cement that has stairs and sits on the ground. She made small burrows under it - in the soil. I don't quite understand where the paving stone can fit to prevent the problem. To put it next to the porch? We certainly could work something out when I am sure there is nobody under it.
They (other mice, not this babies) used to be navigating to the garage when we had a small gap in the garage door because nail came out. Now that gap is fixed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Many porches have dirt underneath them rather than a concrete slab, so I thought you might have that type. You might be able to block or destroy the burrow after it's not being used any more, and interfere with any new burrows before the animal has time to really get established there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:39 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Good luck getting rid of them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:06 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thanks. But as I said, I don't see them anymore except for the mom occasionally...I will keep watching

We have owl screeching like crazy every morning .

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:05 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Ok, the chronology once again

- Some mice activity is spotted in/around garage area maybe 1.5 months ago. We fix gaps in front garage door that is supposed to prevent mice traveling between garage and front of the house where I feed wild birds
- Live traps are set, one adult mouse relocated from garage to wild park
- juvenile mice are spotted looking out of holes in dirt near front porch about a month ago (that's when I posted first time)
- soon they stopped being seen except for one (I assume, others died? )
- maybe 1.5 weeks ago I see adult mouse first at the front, then in garage during the same day (wonder if it's the same one...), I can tell it is adult by how fast and confident it is and by its size
- we have a lot of showers, their holes at the front porch got all flooded. The water was standing there high. I was sure whoever was there, died. But no, I saw the same juvenile soon after.
- 3 days ago the only remaining juvenile at the front is found dead near her hole. Put her underground.
- 2 days ago, one juvenile got inside the empty waste basket in garage. Usually that basket has trash in it but that day it was emptied. The walls were too tall for the juvenile to get out (an adult would have no problems to jump over). It was jumping there trying to get out. I had a hard time deciding what to do. It was night time. I took her outside still inside the basket and let her out by vacant house nearby. The next day I didn't feel good about what I did.

Now there is a problem. Today I was feeding my rabbits inside the garage, and another juvenile was standing there looking at us as if it were saying - could I have something to eat please... I am leaving that one alone for now... I have a feeling it will die soon. I guess their mom isn't a good one. Maybe she is busy having back to back pregnancies - that would be nice to stop, too...

I am not sure what I should do... I feel bad for juveniles. and I want to make sure my rabbits are not going to get sick or anything. They come to garage for the night only. About 10pm to 6am

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There isn't an easy solution to the problem. If you allow them to stay there will soon be a lot more of them.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:50 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:
There isn't an easy solution to the problem. If you allow them to stay there will soon be a lot more of them.
well, for now they are not thriving at all. I don't know why. Maybe genetically they are not the best material, who knows. I have read they can be born in 3 different sizes.. so called "peanuts" are not meant to survive past nursing. maybe they are peanuts...
I have never observed anything like this before, or maybe I just wasn't observant enough. I have mice who can't grow for some reasons (and there is plenty of food to find in garage). I thought if it takes only 5-6 weeks for cockatiels to reach appearance of adults, it should be less for smaller creature, mouse. It just strange to see all this wandering around half-size mice.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:45 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Mice reproduce at light speed. Unless you really like mice and want to keep a colony, you need to move the adult/'s very very quickly. They also start reproducing when they are very young, in a matter of weeks since birth. I am sure you know all this already, my point is: they will move inside the house at the first opportunity and start families. I had this happen to me years ago when I lived in the countryside and soon it became a problem of enormous proportions

I was convinced that they wouldn't go inside the house... These guys are as clever as **** and go where they like.

I hope you will solve your problem. The fact that you don't see them doesn't mean that they're not there. You might have dozens and dozens already!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:28 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

you see... every time I saw them I was setting traps but nobody was caught for days... that confused me. I honestly tried to capture them several times since mid March.
So is your suggestion to have no mercy to any of them, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe you're seeing baby mice because its a new generation of baby mice, and the previous ones are already grown up (and possibly making babies of their own).

Page 2 of 7 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next