It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone else have an edible garden?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:02 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Pomegranates like more of the dry soil which kind of confused me on why it didn't grow. Maybe if was too dry? It was just rock and sand though. Maybe it was too dry? I am so glad I trimmed it down. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Home Depot didn't work out today. Tomorrow morning it will hopefully.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Rock and sand sounds like it would drain pretty well. I'm sure it would get wet on a regular basis because that's what life in Florida is like, but it wouldn't stay soggy for a long period of time which is probably good for this type of tree.

That's an inorganic soil type though, meaning that it doesn't have a lot of organic material in it (like old dead plants that have rotted and broken down into soil). Inorganic soils are low in nutrients, and if it's too low it might be one reason that the tree isn't thriving. It would be a good idea to do some internet research or talk to someone at a local nursery to find out what it takes to make pomegranate trees do well in Florida. The soil here in Arizona isn't the world's greatest because desert soils don't have a lot of organic material in them either, but it does have some dirt in it not just rock and sand.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:00 am 
Conure
Conure

Do you have any photos of your tree? I would like to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here are some pictures that I took a few minutes ago. This tree is about 25 years old. The areas that I cut back a couple of months ago have already filled in with greenery, and it's got more blossoms on it than what shows up in the picture. A lot of the flowers are fading and the transition to fruit is in progress, which doesn't show up as well. I got about a hundred pieces of fruit off of it last year and it looks like this year might be even better.

A closeup of some flowers. It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but the darker red at the base of the flower is a harder part that is the future fruit. You can see some flower buds There are still a lot of them on the tree and it'll be interesting to see if they bloom and turn into fruit.

Edit: I don't know why these last two pictures posted sideways. They aren't actually like that! If you click on them you'll see the right-side-up version.

My other two trees are babies that I planted a year and a half ago, barely five feet tall. But they're going to give me some fruit too. In this picture, the flowers close to the ground are oleander not pomegranate. But the flowers in the tree branches are future fruit.

My other baby tree. It's smaller than the other one and won't produce as much. But you can see that one of the fruits is starting to develop pretty well. This tree had a flower down in the low foliage about 6 inches off the ground, but it's gone now. I think the quail got it. They like to snack on flowers that they can reach easily.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:49 am 
Conure
Conure

Wow! Your trees are doing very well! I just took some photos of my tree and garden. It might be hard to see because of the bush in the background which makes the tree camouflage.

This is my tree. I gave it a trim a few days ago. It's just mainly branch with some leaves. No fruits or flowers yet. It's also a baby.

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Image[/url]

Here's the corn:

Image[/url]

newborn tomato plants

Image[/url]

pumpkins

Image[/url]

Lettuce/celery

Image[/url]

Last edited by Feathers on Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

New leaves are growing out - they're reddish when they first emerge so you can tell the difference between new leaves and old ones. It looks like some of the red leaves are on the bush in the background, but some of them are definitely on the pomegranate tree. If fruit is in your future, you'll start getting flowers after it leafs out.

The page is supposed to resize big pictures to fit on the screen but sometimes it doesn't. I don't know why.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:56 am 
Conure
Conure

Sweet. I did not know that.

I was wondering why it was so huge like that. I don't know about phpbb forums, but there are plugins that can automatically resize images to a selected height and width. Have you tried installing plugins at all?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The forum is already set to do it automatically. I don't know if there's anything I can add that would step in when the forum programming fails.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:41 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
A bit late but I have one...

I have rhubarb, blackberry bushes, egeptian onions, 2 apple trees, 1 fig-tree, somewhere there should be grapes growing, but all I see is leaves... There's a Walnut tree, some rucolla ....erm strawberries... and that's about it for things that 'stay put all year round'. - althoug the strawberries are in a square gardening cubicle and the oldest plants are 3 years old.

Then I have smaller patches of land 1M20 by 3m where I rotate stuff on. Now I've got some letuce growing, spinach, leek, 2 tomato plants and one ballpepper (under a plastic sheet, it's actually more of a plant to grow in a greenhouse, but I don't have one -> my wife thinks it would ruin the look of the garden) I 've put some potatoes in the ground, some cauliflower, some cabbage (red) and broccoli. (I think that's about it)

This may read like I work a lot in my garden, but that's actually not true... I occasionally weed and water and that's about it. Let it grow is my motto :bigsmile100:

I'm planning on trying an egg-plant (didn't work last year) again. I also want to give chicory a go, but maybe I'll wait till next year. Sprouts, onions, carrots, turnips and Savoy await their turn (I like to make a vegetable stew with all those).

OH I forgot about my peas, perhaps because they're stuborn and haven't shown me their lille green heads poking out of the dirt yet... Next month I might put some beans next to them. I also think I spotted a salsify (? not sure about the translation) that refused to come out with his brethren last year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:07 pm 
Conure
Conure

That's great! You have a nice sized garden! I was just going to ask "how does he care for so many plants?" But then you clarified lol.

Page 2 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next