It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Anyone else have an edible garden?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:48 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Spring is here and I thought to myself "what's the best way to take advantage of this season?" Gardening came to mind. I have gardened before but I stopped. I came up with a brilliant idea to use the horrible, dry, dead, piece of land and made it into my new garden. I removed all those rocks and use fresh, and new soil

What did I plant? Pumpkins, butternut squashe, tomatoes, basil, peppers, early white bush scallops, honeydew melons, lettuce, and celery. They are doing really well. They are big and have a very green hue. I caught an iguana trying to eat the luttuce yesterday and blocked it off temporarily with the pool fence until I go to Home Depot tomorrow to get a real fence.

Anyone else have gardens? I'll post pictures of mine in a couple of days.

Post subject: Re: Anyone else have an edible garden?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:30 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Damn. I have a backyard with some plants in it, but I doubt it's a garden. All I've ever planted was a mango seed, and it was an accident. Though we had to kill it because it was tearing the house walls! I've also planted some tiny package seeds, but they never grew up. Oh and some beans too.

I've been wanting to grow millet for a while, but my hands are not "green" at all. And I'm pretty lazy, so, my fault.

Are your plants already grown?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:59 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I have 2. One at each house. At my dad's I have 3 pumpkins, 2 cherry peppers, 3 green beans and one zucchini. At my mom's I have 9 snap peas, I think maybe like 2 peppers, about 8 baby carrots and apparently when I was gone she threw in a melon plant. Trust me, that's probably not staying since I have limited space and I kept telling her I have limited space and once that sucker grows, everything else is screwed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I have a flowerpot garden on my back porch where I grow baby salad greens for the birds to eat. I have a back yard, but except for three pomegranate trees I don't grow food in it. The summer sun is too brutal for vegetables that have to stay in place. It's more protected on the porch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:03 pm 
Conure
Conure

@Erik, yes. They are grown. I recently planted the (forgot to mention) corn, basil, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Everything else is grown beside for those.

@Stephanie, I didn't count how much of everything I have. I just planted a double the amount of seeds in case some didn't grow and chose the ones that were the strongest. I left about 3-4 of the plants that took a lot of room and more plants for the ones that took less. I'm planting the pumpkins and butternut squash vertically. I had to borrow the aviary supplies (the door, and I made trellis myself out of 2 long perches, cage wire, and attached two wooden perches horizontally on the top and bottom to keep it from curling.)

@Carolyn, I have a pomegranate tree as well. My grandfather planted it. It's in the middle of my garden actually. It wasn't doing to well (barely any water and just some dry sand and rocks for soil.) I did change it though so hopefully we get some pomegranates too. I am also preparing an avocado seed from kitchen scraps from planting as well. It's right now half way in water getting ready to sprout for planting. While in Home Depot tomorrow, I'll pick up some more soil and use a plant pot to have the avocado tree in. Unfortunately, there's no room in my garden for another tree.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I learned on the internet that the secret to getting pomegranates is to cut the branches back significantly in the winter. The fruit grows on the thin branches (the websites say new branches, but it looks to me like its branches that grew the previous year). So you have to make room for new branches to grow. I started pruning the tree in the winter a couple of years ago and now I'm getting a lot more fruit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:35 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Wow............ its too darn cold here for me to garden! we had a white frost this morning.... that would kill every -thing... My garden is lawn and alpine plant's, and a few tree's not really into growing stuff..
But......... all your gardens sound great...
B: I'm coming for a very good salad lunch once everything is ready! :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:41 pm 
Finch
Finch

Name: Janey
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 7 times
I live in apt complex and have deck. so last year I had small veggie garden for Sweet Pea. the following was planted peas, carrots, wheat grass, green beans, parsley, lettuce, basil. it was good year, plus I dried a lot of herbs for the bird for the winter. I also dried carrot tops for her also. I have gotten my seeds for this summer already. spinach, zucchini, cucumbers, oregano, parsley, peas, carrots, green beans, broccoli and lettuce. the pots have to get warm enough before I start planting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:48 pm 
Conure
Conure

Cool!

@Carolyn, after I read your post, I trimmed the tree. It looks much better now!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It'll look even better when it's got fruit hanging on it. It might already be too late for this year, but time will tell. If you see flowers blooming on the tree it means that fruit is on the way! My trees started blooming about a month ago and the fruit is starting to develop now.

You get a lot more rain than I do which might be helpful. When the rains are good here I'll sometimes get some flowers blooming in the summer. But the main blooming period is in the early spring. Pomegranate is actually more of an arid-climate tree native to the Middle East, and I don't know how it performs in Florida.

Page 1 of 3 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next