All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Veterinarians
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:01 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
One of my rabbits has a very bad condition - a fly strike, when flies lay eggs on their compromised area, usually privates if they are not very clean or of flies find even a small wound.
Thumperina is a large bun (9 lbs) who is very furry. All this makes it kind of hard to clean herself. Last summer she had urine scald, and this summer I guess I missed the beginning of it. When I saw she was in trouble, fly larvas already was eating her alive (I know it sounds awful, and this is how awful it is)
I rushed her to the vet (it was Saturday) but the vet I usually see wasn't there. The problem here is that I haven't found a truly rabbit savvy vet so I have to take them to clinics that see exotic animals hoping that the vet won't be complete stranger to bunnies. There is a guy who works there who was kind of helpful with both birds and bunnies. He wasn't working last Sat.
The lady who was there did a good job cleaning her wound... but my rabbits has an abscess. She gave us meds but told to come back in 2 (!!!!!) weeks
They called me today to ask about Thumperina and I said I would also like to get my regular doctor's opinion and also asked for a topical medicine (that wasn;t prescribed on Sat)
They said I can come see him any time but I guess I have to pay again the cost of the visit while I would prefer them to take a quick look as a followup without charge.
DO you think what I want is reasonable? IS there a common practice to bring your pet for a progress check soon when there is a serious condition?

Post subject: Re: Veterinarians
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It all depends on the way the vets have decided to run their business. Hopefully they won't charge you again. When you see your vet, tell him nicely that you were worried that the advice you got the first time might not be as good as the advice you get from him. They'll be less likely to charge you the second time if the service wasn't first-rate the first time.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:01 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you Carolyn
The service I got was good I think.
I asked them already, the cost of recheck is $30

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:36 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I feel trapped dealing with vet mafia :yikes:

I asked to prescribe topical ointment, they sold me one. Googled it online and see that it's available FIVE TIMES cheaper!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:59 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
My avian vet here in the UK... includes follow up visits in the cost... depending on what is wrong.... sometimes there is a cover charge....
Yes vet meds on line are a lot cheaper.. as long as you know what you need...
I've never met a poor vet money wise yet! Maybe I shouldn't say that, but it is so expensive to see one....

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]