All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dead squirell prank?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:23 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
I had a bit upsetting situation yesterday. I parked at the grocery store at the same time as the vehicle next to me. When I got out, I noticed something unusual on the ground behind the car next to mine. Another driver also got out to go to the store and we both saw that he was dragging dead squirrel while he was driving. I didn't look very attentively as the situation was upsetting me so I went inside the store (I thought that the squirrel somehow got caught by something on his vehicle).
After shopping, I returned to the parking lot, the guy was gone but the squirrel was still in the same spot. It was rather late, not a lot of people, so I took a better look (my inquisitive nature!) - I even took a picture
(my daughter called me to ask what I was doing.
- Taking picture of a dead squirrel...
- Do you think that somebody lost this squirrel so you helping people to find it?)
The squirrel was pretty much intact (not messy), a rope was tied around her neck, another end was previously tied to the back hook on the guy's van. This made me even more upset. He just untied the end that was connected to his van...
I really didn't want to leave the squirrel there (I could probably call dead animal pickup if it wasn't New Year Eve) I put her body in a sack and drove to the open space not far by the cemetery which was on my way home anyway. Some wild predators live there. Now I am thinking if I should return to bury the body (am I crazy?)

Why would people do such cruel stupidity? Do people find it funny? Is there maybe a famous prank about dead squirrels? I even googled it. The only thing that I hope for is that the squirrel wasn't murdered by people who wanted to play a joke on the guy. I hope it was already dead from a different cause.

Post subject: Re: Dead squirell prank?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:45 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Not good

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You may as well let the wild predators take the squirrel - that way it will help sustain life for some other animal, who won't have to kill a different squirrel for that particular meal.

That was a horrible prank, but at least we can be fairly sure the squirrel was already dead when it was tied to the car. Healthy squirrels are VERY fast and it's hard to catch them. Even dogs usually can't grab them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:21 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I wonder for how many days dead animals stays fresh for a predator to eat and how predators know if its still good (a question that always interested me)? Bodies start to rot in a little bit, I thought.
I think it's possible to catch a squirrel in a trap but I hope this wasn't the case.
We don't know how long ago this poor one died. Oh well, I will do nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:30 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I feel for you. It's hard when you are so close to cruelty. You did the best you could. I think it would be best not to dwell on it. Or, meditate briefly, and focus on putting that situation into a balloon and letting it float away. This may enable you to reduce the pain you are feeling.

I wish there were much more people like you in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:10 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Thank you Dianne!
I am not thinking again and again over it - have too many other things to take care of :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:12 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
What an awful thing to do. People are seriously messed up :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]