Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Russian orchestra covers Rammstein
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
That's right, it's another music thread! Bob is going to like this one.

phpBB [video]

The song they're covering is "Du riechst so gut". I didn't actually recognize it at first because it sounds so different without the vocalist.

phpBB [video]

Post subject: Re: Russian orchestra covers Rammstein
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:33 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
tielfan wrote:
That's right, it's another music thread! Bob is going to like this one.

You're really aiming to please here aren't you ? :woohoo1:

BTW, have y'all seen this? :

phpBB [video]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bluegrass band covers AC/DC! I love it!! Using an anvil as a percussion instrument was an especially nice touch. My cousin plays in a bluegrass band, and I can imagine him doing this song.

Here's another AC/DC cover for you. Warning, adult content!

phpBB [video]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting back to the Russian orchestra cover, I've realized that they slipped something in there that isn't Rammstein! It starts at about the 2:14 mark and runs for a few seconds. I can't quite place it, but I think it might be Tchaikowsky. That's an interesting combination.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
tielfan wrote:
Getting back to the Russian orchestra cover, I've realized that they slipped something in there that isn't Rammstein! It starts at about the 2:14 mark and runs for a few seconds. I can't quite place it, but I think it might be Tchaikowsky. That's an interesting combination.
I will be happy to assist you. It's very famous Russian folk song {about Russian very common tree)
Sorry its not Chaikovsky (I spelled it the way I hear his last name, never paid attention how its spelled in English)
here is the same song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Riq7e6GkXPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cm0rlCS-eFc

In the clip you posted (of the Russian orchestra) there is an instrument we can see at the very beginning (big black one) - what is it called in English?
The same question about round shaped string instrument that is shown right after the big black one (know both in Russian but not in English)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the info! That's a very lovely song. I found a longer version of the video that has more of it at the beginning before they launch into the Rammstein cover. No wonder some of the audience looks so bewildered - the song did not turn out the way they expected!

phpBB [video]

Tchaikovsky does use snippets of traditional songs in his overtures sometimes. For example the 1812 Overture has at least two of them. Actually I think it might be three, and the French national anthem is in there too. One of the traditional songs sounds somewhat similar to the one we're talking about right now but isn't quite the same.

So the melody we're talking about might be Tchaikovsky AND a folk song. I think I've played it in orchestra as part of some huge symphonic piece, but I can't remember what it was.

The black squeeze-box instrument with buttons on it is an accordion. The round stringed instrument looks similar to a mandolin, but I'm not sure if that's really what we should call it, or if it's a traditional Russian instrument that doesn't have an English name. Are the triangular stringed instruments balalaikas?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:41 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:
The black squeeze-box instrument with buttons on it is an accordion. The round stringed instrument looks similar to a mandolin, but I'm not sure if that's really what we should call it, or if it's a traditional Russian instrument that doesn't have an English name. Are the triangular stringed instruments balalaikas?
Yes, triangular is balalaika, and round one is mandolin! "Accordion" in Russian sounds just the same (I mean the word they use for it) !

I think this guys are releasing stress of playing very boring traditional song by slipping into something ...more dynamic! Just like children release energy at recess.

Fact that Tchaikovsky used some traditional songs in his overtures doesn't make him co-composer, I think. But honestly, I absolutely don't mind if we say that this song is traditional and his :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd agree that it's not Tchaikovsky's song (or whoever it was that put it in their orchestral piece). But that's where I learned it, and I wouldn't have recognized the melody if somebody hadn't borrowed it. So I'm glad they did it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's really weird is the instrument that looks like a table with harp strings. It looks like a piano with the outer casing removed. It sounds like a piano too when she strums it at the 2:36 mark. But it's got an odd sort of keyboard on the top that you don't find on a piano.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:18 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:
What's really weird is the instrument that looks like a table with harp strings. It looks like a piano with the outer casing removed. It sounds like a piano too when she strums it at the 2:36 mark. But it's got an odd sort of keyboard on the top that you don't find on a piano.
I don't know what it is. There are probably some new instruments being designed recently.
What about 3:57 in the second (fuller version) piece you posted? an instrument that looks like a saw? or was it a saw?
At least the conductor woke up ! :loveshower100:

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next