All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: A new cage for Kermit
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:23 pm 
Chick
Chick

Gave happy chirps: 9 times
Got happy chirps: 0 time
Just ordered a big new cage for my conure, Kermit. His current one is nice, but I felt he needed an upgrade. His current cage measures 24” long, 22” deep, and 51” tall. I thought his cage was a little too narrow for him, and the height didn’t matter much since he usually stays near the top of the cage (he does come down briefly to eat and drink, as the food dishes are near the bottom). His new cage will be a dometop cage measuring 32” long, 23” deep and 40” high without the stand. I just ordered it today, so it should arrive by the end of the week. I’m so excited to set it up!! I really feel that a pet bird should have the biggest cage possible, and I hate the small tabletop cages. I don’t know why I didn’t get that cage when I got Kermit! Anyway here is the cage I bought:

https://www.birdscomfort.com/dometop_parrot_cage.html
A&E 32x23 medium dometop parrot cage. If anyone has this cage, let me know how you like it!

And this is Kermit’s current cage:
http://a.co/1PGy1w0

Ducky has the Prevue F040 flight cage and I really like it. Though I wanted to try something different for Kermit. Bluebell and Pearl each have one of these cages:
http://a.co/cCJBEDb
Bluebell’s is in white and Pearl’s is in brown. I don’t think they make the cage in white anymore though.

What cages do you use for your birds??

Post subject: Re: A new cage for Kermit
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
That's a nice cage! I have several cages including the Prevue F050. But this is my "Big Bertha" cage: https://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/PA5743

Another view of it: http://www.aecageco.com/Products/Space- ... vider.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:40 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I use the f040 for my single lovebird. I think it’s great but sometimes I wish it was less tall and more wide because he doesn’t use the bottom half except to go eat. (Seeds are on the bottom.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:58 am 
Chick
Chick

Wow, tielfan, that’s a huge cage. I prefer flat top or dome top cages over playtop ones though, as I cover my birds cages at night and the playtop would get in the way.
I agree that the F040 should be wider. Ducky uses all the levels of her cage though, as I’ve placed lots of perches everywhere around the cage. What’s weird is that she always climbs the bars instead of hopping/flying, even though her cage has plenty of room. It’s a flight cage lol. And Ducky is fully flighted, she loves to fly around when out, so it’s not like she can’t fly or anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:01 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The playtop is actually a great feature because of the tray. I put food on it so they can forage, and they love it. I need a bigger cover at night because of the big hook that sticks up, but the hook is pretty useful too. I hang millet sprays, branches for shredding, and other forms of entertainment from it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:38 pm 
Chick
Chick

A little bit of a setback here with the cage. The shipping cost was way too much! I ended up ordering another very similar cage from a different website:
http://www.mybirdcage.com/drop-door-dom ... cages.html

Same dimensions as the other one, but this cage has an extra drop door that might come in handy. I got the platinum color. Also ordered a bunch of toys and a Kings travel carrier to replace Ducky’s clear plastic one, which is very hard to clean.

Tielfan, great cage setup! Does your cage have a divider?

Last edited by FlyBirdiesFly on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My cage has one of those drop doors, and it's a favorite part of the cage. The birds like to sit there like it's their front porch.

My cage has a divider but I don't use it. When the divider is in, I basically have two cages that are too narrow instead of a nice wide cage where the birds can move around a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:37 pm 
Chick
Chick

Kermit’s cage arrived yesterday and I assembled it today. I LOVE IT!!! It’s huge, sturdy, convenient, and the color is nice too. The drop door is great as well, I’m sure Kermit will love to sit on it. Kermit is very happy with his new home. He’s already loving it, and it didn’t take any time for him to warm up to it. In fact, I love this cage so much that I’m considering getting an HQ flight cage for Ducky. After seeing the quality build of HQ cages, Ducky’s Prevue cage seems very flimsy. The bars sag at the top, the side doors are spring loaded, and one of the welds is broken. I honestly don’t know why I even went with Prevue cages in the first place when HQ is so much better quality.

The cage is not yet fully set up. I need to get a few more perches and toys.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a big HQ cage and a big Prevue cage, and I like them both in their own way. The HQ cage is a lot sturdier, but the Prevue cage is a lot easier to move and it cost a lot less. The birds like both cages.

Really the biggest advantage of the HQ cage over the Prevue is that it has a playtop where the birds can forage. I put plates of food on top of the Prevue cage too, but if they drop anything it goes through the bars and down to the floor. If they drop something on the HQ playtop they can just pick it up again, as long as they don't actually toss it over the side. Which happens a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:12 pm 
Chick
Chick

The HQ flight isn’t that much more expensive than the Prevue F040 (the dometop cage is though). I am also not a fan of the door locks on the Prevue cage. They don’t seem very secure compared to the locks on the HQ cage. I thought I really liked the Prevue cage before I got my HQ cage...

Kermit is so much happier in his new cage. His old one was not nearly sufficient, especially with conures being such active birds.

Last edited by FlyBirdiesFly on Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Page 1 of 3 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next