Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Egg laying advice needed
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:02 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Thank u Carolyn.
We have warmer weather, i let her stay there overnight without being worried about drafts from the front door (shes on the floor level). Its not super convenient for us but we will be ok. I may completely remove that piece of furniture when shes done with this clutch.
She has 3 eggs, all been boiled by me but im still a little worried about possibility to hatch. Its even not easy to candle eggs because now parents r there all the time.
My daughter, who is 15, said that what i do is so rude !
I'm also concerned that Bella's body may be hurting from sitting on a hard surface for hours. Its just wooden cubby where i put one layer of paper. Should i add anything else there?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If the eggs have been boiled there is no way they can hatch. Personally I wouldn't do anything to make this area more comfortable or convenient, because that just encourages her to lay more eggs when this clutch fails to hatch. You said "parents" which makes it sound like you're letting the male sit there too. This will also encourage them to have another clutch, because incubation by both parents is part of the normal nesting process. It would really be better to remove the nest and change the area so that neither bird can sit there, and don't let them use a different place as a nest either. The expected hatch date is coming up soon, and if you don't do something to prevent it you're likely to have more eggs in another week or two.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This might seem unkind, but at this point the most effective way to break this cycle is probably to remove the eggs, change the area so no bird can sit there, and put the hen in a separate cage in an unfamiliar room for a few days so she can't see the other birds. Especially not her mate. She will not be happy, but the disruption should get her out of breeding mode. Then monitor the situation when you put her back with the rest of the flock. Maybe put the male in a different room too (not with her) so that he will also not be in the mood for romance. If you see hormonal behavior when everything goes back to normal, you'll need to try to prevent it from escalating to the point that she starts laying eggs again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:08 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Here is some update. (I didn't have the heart, spare rooms, availability to be at home to monitor, etc to follow the last advice)
She finished sitting on her first clutch of eggs, I don't remember when but she was sitting rather long, in the same location.
Then she had a break if I remember right. I blocked that area of course. Then they started being interested again in nesting places (in the house, you can always find something...). However, she has laid 3 eggs so far in random places. They all were dropped from the height / fell / were pretty much wasted. Im not sure if she is about to lay egg #4, probably. But the situation of not having a secure nesting spot brings stress to her and I'm wondering if its better to leave her alone, let her lay, let her sit and then do my best not to let them be hormonal again. I imagine a pregnant woman who needs a place to give birth but she's kicked out of everywhere she goes. It must be very stressful.
Right now I have a different concern. Its been a while since I m seeing that Bella's stool is not quite uniform, when she poops its pretty much a normal color (all my birds have rather dark colored poop, probably due to diet) but it has dark particles, specs in it (size of a dot). When it dries, her poop becomes more of a brownish color. What could it be? Do I have to be concerned? When I wake them up in the morning, she is usually very puffed up (some other birds are too). Then she usually stops being this way, and is full of energy during the day (=hormonal...) I don't see many signs of her being sick, except this strange poop.
Another question is particularly about her poop when she does have an egg. I know that its very normal to have huge poop when they incubate (because they don't poop in the nest) but what I was seeing yesterday (and she doesn't incubate any eggs, she is carrying an egg inside) is a rather watery poop. Is it due to stress? thanks

Last edited by Chipper on Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:12 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

You know that I have been thinking about rehoming them for a long time. I still would love to do it. What stops me is that Im not sure they will be in good hands.
Bella and Sparkle were my main concern (how to rehome them to different homes - they are very attached to each other). I was wondering if its a good idea to send them to the same home not to break their bond but give them eggs from another couple to incubate (if the home has any, of course)... Would they incubate and raise chicks like their own?

PS Read on another forum that lutinos are heavily inbred. No concerns for breeders to end up with lots of deformed chicks?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

She may not be grinding her food up as thoroughly as the other birds, or she may be eating something that she shouldn't be eating.

Breaking the hormonal egg-laying cycle is much healthier for her than letting her continue to lay eggs that won't be allowed to hatch. Birds can't tell the difference between their own eggs and a different cockatiel's eggs, so if her eggs were replaced with eggs from a different pair, she would take care of them as if they were her own. But this isn't a possibility right now.

It's generally thought that breeding two lutinos together is not a good idea, but it can work out well if the parents are good quality birds that aren't carrying the same bad genes. Breeding a good-quality lutino to a non-lutino is fine, but breeding a poor-quality lutino is not a good idea no matter what color the mate is.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:05 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

tielfan wrote:
She may not be grinding her food up as thoroughly as the other birds, or she may be eating something that she shouldn't be eating.

thank you Carolyn.
She finds different things to shred. The question is if what she has now with her stool is dangerous? Should I be concerned?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There's no way for me to guess what she's been eating.

Page 3 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3