Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Regurgitating to toys
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:03 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I believe Danny is being touched with hormones, and while he's nowhere near as bad as Jaid gets, his biggest thing is regurgitating to his favorite toys. I want to let him play with them, but then it turns into feeding them. I'm not sure how to discourage that behavior because playing is good for him, but it turns into something not that good for him.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Regurgitating to toys
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You could try using the long nights treatment for some natural hormone control. Day length is probably a breeding trigger for BCCs - the internet says that they breed in December in Paraguay and Argentina (southern hemisphere, so that's summertime) and March-July in Venezuela (northern hemisphere). So simulating the winter day length is likely to help. There's an article on long nights here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... mones.html

If the hormones haven't made him vicious or crazy, you don't really need to do anything about it. Long ago when I had budgies, they did a lot of regurgitating to toys but they stayed friendly to us, so it wasn't a problem.

With cockatiels, the boys don't feed their mate so this doesn't happen. Instead they just try to rip your hand off when you put it in the cage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:58 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Ya know that makes sense. He’s not aggressive per say, but he’s grouchier. Whines a little more. Kind of like mood swings but I’ve had parrots long enough to know that’s how parrots are. He’s still really trying to be a good boy but he’s biting and lunging much more often. I think that’s just hormones in his little body and doesn’t really know how to handle them but I can still see my sweet shy little guy.

Isn’t too frequent of regurgitation bad for the birds?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not that I've heard, as long as they're still getting enough to eat. Breeding adults spend a lot of time regurgitating to multiple chicks, and it doesn't harm them. A pet who's regurgitating to a toy probably won't be doing it as much as an actual breeder.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Since it’s still coming up the mouth, does vomiting hurt the throat if regurgitation doesn’t?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't actually know how it feels to a bird, but they are very different from humans in this respect. It's normal and natural for them to do voluntary regurgitation any time they want to (which is usually when they're feeling amorous or when they have a baby to feed). I would guess that it doesn't feel bad to them, since it would interfere with their breeding success if it did. But they look very uncomfortable with uncontrollable vomiting, so they've got that much in common with us.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]