|
The Trents of Colonial Virginia
Trent Family Landholdings |
|
Location of Henry the Immigrant's land.
See the
Original Documents
article to view the original property documents and transcriptions of the
relevant text.
 |
|
Map of the general area |
At present, we know of two tracts of land that Henry owned in his
lifetime: a 200 acre grant that he received in 1673 and sold in 1680; and a 435-acre parcel that
he acquired in 1694 and still owned at his death in 1701. We don't know
where he was between 1680 and 1694; apparently still in Henrico County,
since his name appears in the records during this time period. Farmers
often had an economic
reason to move periodically. Tobacco farming depletes the soil much faster
than other crops; tobacco farmers could get luxuriant crops for three or
four years, and then the crop yield went downhill fast. Planters could
restore the soil by first planting corn and then letting the land lie fallow
(Williams), but in the meantime they needed to find some new land
if they wanted to have a cash crop.
Some plots were sold or simply abandoned.
 |
 |
|
The 1673 grant |
The Falling Creek land |
|
Maps by
Bannister |
Surveys from this time period are difficult to read and they don't
use precise coordinates, so we can't identify the exact location of Henry's
land. But there are clues that point toward some specific areas. The
maps at left show the estimated location of these parcels, and the available
evidence indicates that these maps are pretty accurate.
There are similarities in place names that complicate the issue. The 1673
grant indicates that the northwest corner of Henry's land was at the head of
Cole-something. There is a small creek in the area called Coles Run
whose head is half a mile from the river, so it's compatible with the
description in the grant. But there's stronger evidence that the 1673
grant was north of Cornelius Creek. There is a plantation called Coulsons in
this area, and it's likely that the word in the grant is Colesons.
Surveys conducted for other people in 1688 and 1692 mention Henry's land,
and they are not compatible with the Coles Run location.
Bannister
assumed that they were talking about the 1673 parcel, and the other maps on this
page assume it too.
But it's rather odd that the surveyors are still calling it Henry's land 8
to 12
years after he sold it. We can't rule out the possibility that they're talking about a different
parcel that Henry owned between 1680 and 1694. It's also possible that
Henry sold the land because he needed to raise some cash, but continued to
live there as a tenant until he had the means to buy some new land. He sold
the 1673 grant to John Pleasants, a big landowner who lived on Curles Neck
and obviously wasn't planning to personally farm Henry's land.
 |
|
Cornelius Creek area |
The surveys for others include one conducted for a land grant to Nicholas Marsh
on October 20, 1688, and subsequently regranted to Thomas Cocke on April 29,
1693. This survey mentions easily-identifiable Cornelius Creek and the
hard-to-identify "head of Barrow". The second survey, for a land grant
to Giles Webb on April 29, 1692, regranted to Bartholemew
Fowler on October 29, 1696, and ultimately sold back to Giles Webb in 1698, talks about the middle run between Colsons and
Deep Bottom, progressing to the head of Barrow-land. "Barrow" can be a
generic term meaning a hill, but it was also the name of a plantation
adjoining Rowland Place's land and a 100-acre parcel of land called Coulsons
whose owners included John Pleasants (Rootsweb,
Genealogy.com,
JSTOR).
The Deep Bottom mentioned in this survey is clearly not the area around Deep Bottom
State Park near Curles Neck, and the location of this "different" Deep
Bottom can not be identified.
 |
 |
|
General area map (repeat) |
Division among the heirs |
The Falling Creek land. On October 26, 1694 John Broadnax received a
grant of 435 acres that had previously been granted to Charles Douglas. Ten
days later he sold this land to Henry Trent for "a valuable consideration
already in hand". Unfortunately the document doesn't tell us what that
consideration was. This was the only land that Henry owned when
he died in 1701, and his will divided the land equally between his sons.
William had first pick, and he chose the parcel that had the "manor house"
on it. The others drew lots to determine their share.
The land was
surveyed in 1705 during the process of dividing it among the heirs. The surveyor's map
didn't draw everything to quite the same scale, but it's still recognizable
as the same parcel when the different shares are pieced together into a
single map.
|
BACK TO TOP
|
Location of Henry Sherman's land.
See the
Original Documents
article to view the original property documents and transcriptions of the
relevant text.
 |
 |
|
General area map (repeat) |
Bannister's map of the Warwick Mosaic |
Henry Sherman was the father of Henry
Trent's wife Elizabeth Sherman. He received a grant of 228 acres on the same day that Henry
Trent received his 200 acres, and the grants are listed consecutively in the
record book. This land was ultimately divided between Henry Trent's sons
Alexander and Henry Junior in 1705. Henry Sherman had no surviving sons, so
he willed his land to two of his grandsons.
Henry Sherman is only known to have owned two parcels of land: the 378 acres that his
wife inherited from her first husband Isaac Hutchins (sometimes spelled
Hutchings), and the 228 acre grant
that he got in 1673. The land on the general area map labeled
A, B, and C was formerly known as Warwick. Area A is the approximate
location of Isaac Hutchins' land, which came into Henry Sherman's hands when he
married Hutchins' widow; Area B is Peter Lee, whose name is mentioned in the
1673 grant; Area C is the location of Sherman's 1673 grant.
Bannister wrote an article about the Warwick area, as well as creating the closeup map.
His map shows the lands of Hutchins and Peter Lee, and the unlabeled white space
below Lee became Henry Sherman's land in 1673.
The 378 acres in Area A reportedly ended up in the hands of Christopher Branch
(husband of Henry Sherman's daughter Ann). There was a mysterious
transaction around 1714 where Elizabeth Sherman Trent and her second husband
Henry Gee somehow recovered 60 acres from Christopher Branch and then traded
this land to William Byrd (JSTOR,
Geesnmore). It's not clear how Branch got this land, but
it's apparently in the area marked C.
It appears that Henry and Cicely Sherman lived on the 228 acre grant for most of their lives.
When Henry died, Cicely had the rights to the land for her lifetime, with grandsons Alexander
Trent and Henry Trent Jr
to receive 114 acres each upon her death. But she didn’t wait that long, deeding 114 acres to Henry Junior in Nov 1705, and
the other 114 acres to Alexander a couple of months later
(Genealogy.com). She wrote her will in 1703 but
didn't die until 1707.
|
BACK TO TOP
|
Location of William/Ursula's land.
See the
Original Documents
article to view the original property documents and transcriptions of the
relevant text.
 |
 |
|
Falling Creek inheritance |
Tomahawk Creek land |
William's first land acquisition was the 109 acres (or 120 acres,
depending on which surveyor you believe) on Falling Creek that he inherited
from his father in 1701, when William was about 17 years old. Henry's will
divided the land equally between the four sons but gave William the first
choice of the parcels, and he chose the one that had the house on it. See
the article section on Henry the Immigrant's land for a map of the
general area.
On May 1, 1736, William was the witness to a transaction where Henry Cary
bought 600 acres from Isaiah Burton, from the massive 17,653 acre Tullit survey
(more info in the Henry the Immigrant section above). On the same day,
and on the same page of the record books, William bought 300 acres of land
from Henry Cary. It is not clear whether this 300 acres was half of the land
that Cary just bought from Burton, or if it was a separate parcel. There
isn't enough information in the semi-legible deeds to determine the precise
location of either parcel; but it looks like the land that Cary bought may
have been on Pocoshock Creek, and the land that William bought may have been
on Michaux Branch aka Michauk Creek. These creeks are not close to each
other.
The Henrico deeds from 1737-1744 can not be located online,
but there are other legal documents suggesting that
William may have sold some or all of his land in 1739. In July 1739 he
acknowledged a deed to Alexander Trent, and another deed to Francis Walker.
It's possible that the deed to Alexander was for William's inherited land,
keeping it in the family. It's not clear whether this was William's son
Alexander, or his nephew Alexander 2 who inherited the Falling Creek plot
next to William.
In September 1739 there was an apparent land exchange between William and
Francis Flournoy, since William acknowledged a deed to Flournoy and Flournoy
simultaneously acknowledged a deed to William. It's not clear what Flournoy
received, but William acquired 400 acres on Tomahawk Creek. He sold 218
acres of this land to Stephen Watkins in 1745, leaving 182 acres in
William's hands. In November 1739 William
acknowledged a deed to Henry Cary, which may or may not have involved some
of this acreage.
In September 1746 William bought 150 acres on the west side of Tomahawk Creek from John
Welch, close to the land on the east side of Tomahawk that he previously acquired from Flournoy.
William disposed of all his land in his lifetime. As of 1746, he apparently
owned 182 acres on the east side of Tomahawk Creek and 150 acres on the west
side of Tomahawk, for a total of 332 acres. Subsequent records show
that he gave 75 acres each to two of his sons. The deeds to his sons are
even less descriptive than usual, but it sounds like all the land that he
gave to them may have been on the east side of Tomahawk, leaving 32 acres
unaccounted for. Some of this discrepancy may have been sloppy
recordkeeping, since new surveys or deeds don't always agree with the
previous records. William may have gotten more than 400 acres to begin with,
or the acreage sold to Watkins may have been less than the 218 acres stated
on the deed.
In November 1757 he gave 75 acres to William
Junior. The deed says that the land joins Flournoys line, but Flournoy owned
land on both sides of Tomahawk Creek so this isn't very illuminating. It
says that the line goes up an unnamed branch, and the only branch in this
area is Trabues Branch on the east side of Tomahawk. The survey creates a new line
dividing the lands of William Junior and William Senior. William
Junior sold this land to his brother Benjamin in June 1761, and the deed
says it adjoins the lands of Mr Watkins and William Senior. Stephen Watkins
bought the northernmost part of William Senior's original plot, so it sounds like
the plot that belonged first to William Junior and then to Benjamin was a
slice between the lands of Watkins and William Senior.
In April 1762 William senior gave the 75 acres that he was living on to his
son Henry, on condition
that William Senior continued to have free use of the plantation during his life.
It's not clear what happened to the 150 acres that William bought from John
Welch.
|
BACK TO TOP
|
The Amelia County Trents.
I have not transcribed the records for these landholdings or
added links to the Original Documents article. Links to the originals will
be provided in this section.
 |
|
Namozine Creek |
There is a mysterious John Trent who was recorded in Amelia County
in the 1740-1756 time period. Before the age of genealogical DNA testing,
Barbara Marsh wrote a 4-part article presenting a plausible hypothesis that he
was the son of Henry the Immigrant, and the father of Henry Trent of
Amherst. The article sections are not linked together, and must be
accessed separately:
Part 1,
Part 2,
Part 3,
Part 4. The Trent Y-DNA project cast serious doubt on this idea;
this branch of the family (the Group 2 Trents) does not have the expected Y haplotype, and can
not descend from Henry the Immigrant's son John unless John had unexpected
paternity and was not Henry's biological son. This is certainly
possible; another of Henry's sons, William, has unexpected paternity that
matches the Howell family (the Group 1 Trents). The evidence indicates that
William was a member of Henry the Immigrant's household in spite of his
nonconforming DNA. But it's not clear
whether John Trent of Amelia County was a member of Henry the Immigrant's
family, or if he's just a guy who happens to have the same name as Henry's
son. In any case, it seems likely that he was part of the Group 2
line.
On April 5, 1748, John
Trent received a land grant for 221 acres on the head branches of Nammiseen
Creek (now called Namozine Creek)
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 26, 1747-1748, p. 401 (Reel 24)
Library of Virginia;
better copy on
FamilySearch).
The head of the creek is in the lower left corner of the map.
Wikitree and
Rootsweb report on the original survey for this property: "11 March 1742/3 221 acres of land on the head
branches of Nammiseen Creek are surveyed for John Trent. (Patent Book 26,
page 401 & Patent Book 34, page 195.) SOURCE: "Amelia County Surveys and
Their Corresponding Patents" compiled by Dennis Ray Hudgins in Magazine of
Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 41, No. 4, page 324." The referenced patent books
are the Library of Virginia land grant records and do not contain information
on survey dates; survey books probably exist with this information but they are not currently
available online. Book 26 p.401 is John's grant, and
Book
34 p.195 has nothing to do with Trent. But this survey information is probably accurate. The land grant
process was slow, and it was normal for several years to pass between the
survey and the issuance of the grant. The grantee could occupy the land in
the meantime.
Unrecorded deeds & other documents, Amelia County, Virginia, 1750-1902
(page 76) by Gibson Jefferson
McConnaughey has an abstract showing that John Trent of Albemarle County
sold William Trent of Amelia County 100 acres in Amelia, being part of 221
acres surveyed for John Trent on March 11, 1742, adjacent William Watson,
Frederick Foard and Charles Hinton, for the sum of 10 pounds. The deed is dated 2/12/1754, about two weeks after William sold the land to
someone else, and was proved on 2/28/1754. Click
here to view the
relevant book page. The sale between John Trent and William Trent is
mentioned in the court order book for February 1754 (Amelia
Order Book 3 1751-1755 p. 156
FamilySearch Image 163).It's significant that John is described as
a resident of Albemarle County in this unrecorded deed.
This suggests that he is the same John Trent who was in Albemarle with Henry
of Amherst in the 1747-1760 time period. See
Marsh Part 3 and
Part 4 for John's appearances in Albemarle. He was recorded there in
1747 and in 1750 when he had 334 acres surveyed on Rockfish Creek. The
grant for this land wasn't issued until 1760, shortly after John's death in
Albemarle County.
The
Amelia lists of tithables, 1736-1782
shows the following records for Trent in the relevant time period:
- 1740 John Trent on Abraham Cocke's list, below Deep Creek
Img 78, last column near the top
- 1744 John Trent on Charles Irby's list, below Deep Creek and above
Cellar Creek
Img 130 next to last column
- 1749-1750 It has been said that John Trent was reported in Raleigh
Parish below Flatt and Nibbs Creeks, and William Trent was taxed in
Nottoway Parish; but I can't find them on the
1749 tax list or the
1750 tax list
- 1751-1752 It's said that John Trent was reported in Raleigh Parish
between Flatt and Nibbs Creek; but the tax lists are hard to read and
the information is questionable, so I didn't look for him. There's no
rumor of William during this time period.
- 1753 William Trent on Charles Irby's list in the lower end of
Nottoway Parish
Img 331. Note that John Trent was reported on Charles Irby's list in
1744; they may have been living on the land that John patented and later
sold to William. In 1753, John Trent is reported on Abraham Talley's list below Cellar Creek
Img 348 first column near top. This is not necessarily the same John
Trent who sold land to William.
- 1755-1756 There are rumors of William in the lower end of Nottoway
Parish in 1755, but his name was not found on the list. It's rumored
that John was in Raleigh Parish in 1756, but I didn't look for him.
It's hard to tell whether John lived continuously in Albemarle from 1747
onward, or if he made sporadic appearances in both counties through the
mid-1750s. The Albemarle tax
lists for the relevant period aren't available. If there were two John Trents - one living Amelia and one in Albemarle - then it's possible that
one of them was the father of the family and the other was his son.
William Trent sold the 100 acres on Namozine Creek that he purchased from
John to George Lewis on 1/9/1754
(Amelia Deed Book #5 1749-1757 p. 130
FamilySearch
Image
85). The deed doesn't mention the creek, but the parcel is
recognizable because of the neighbors' names.
The sale is also mentioned in the court order book
(Amelia Order Book 3 1751-1755 p. 159 FamilySearch Img
166)William Trent witnessed a deed in Amelia County on 8/16/1756
(Amelia Deed Book #5 1749-1757 p. 530
FamilySearch
Image
287). Some other records of John and William Trent in Amelia
county:
- 1747 Leonard Claiborne sues John Trent for debt (FamilySearch
#1,
#2)
- 1753 William Trent and Gower Dennis sue each other for assault.
Gower was found guilty; the case against William was dismissed (FamilySearch
#1,
#2)
- 1754-1755 John Doake successfully sues William Trent for debt (FamilySearch
#1,
#2,
#3,
#4)
- 1754 John Trent is charged with profane swearing (FamilySearch)
- 1755-1756 John Trent is arrested in a suit brought by Alexander
Gordon. The charge isn't specified. The case was dismissed due to
Gordon's death (FamilySearch
#1,
#2,
#3)
- 1757 Samuel Cobb sues William Trent for debt (FamilySearch)
- 1757 William Trent spends 20 days in debtor's prison in a case
brought by Thomas Douglass. The first entry indicates that Leonard
Claiborne (who sued John Trent for debt in 1747) is involved somehow (FamilySearch
#1,
#2,
#3,
#4)
- 1757 William Trent sues Christopher Hinton for debt (FamilySearch)
- It looks like there are no further records of John or William Trent
in Amelia County
Who is this William Trent? We wouldn't expect to find William the son of
Henry the Immigrant in Amelia County, since he was living in Chesterfield
County, and that's probably where his son William Junior was too. It
seems more likely that this is the William Trent who married Sarah Bryant.
William/Bryant and Henry of Amherst both have Group 2 Y-DNA, and they are the
earliest known members of this group. John of Albemarle's Y-DNA
has not been established, but the records show that he had connections to
both Henry of Amherst and William of Amelia, and that Henry of Amherst had
connections to the Bryant family. The first definite sighting of
William/Bryant doesn't come until 1780, when there are records of him and
his adult children in Henry county. |
BACK TO TOP
|
Henry Trent of Amherst.
I have not transcribed the records for Henry of Amherst's landholdings or
added links to the Original Documents article. Links to the originals will
be provided in this section.
 |
|
General location of the Trent-Childress Albemarle land |
Group 2 of the Trent DNA project has significant matches to the Childress
family, apparently caused by a Trent male fathering a child with a Childress
woman who was not his wife. The place where this probably happened was
in Albemarle county VA in the 1750s-1762 timeframe. At this time, Henry
Trent of Amherst and his probable brother John Trent owned land very close
to Abraham Childers, which provided an excellent opportunity for
inappropriate contact. It is not clear which Abraham Childers this
was, and we don't have enough information to identify the child who had
Trent paternity instead of Childress paternity.
Henry's first land grant in this area was in 1746, when it was still part of
Goochland county, and there were several more Trent land grants in this area
after it became part of Albemarle county. Abraham Childers had three land
grants in this area from 1753-1756. They could have made contact earlier than
this; the land grant process was slow, and it wasn't unusual for people to
occupy the land before they officially received title to it. John Trent
died in 1760, and Abraham Childers was one of the appraisers for John's estate
inventory
(Albemarle Will Book #2 1752-1785 p. 72
FamilySearch
Image 48). Henry Trent moved to Amherst county sometime between 1760 and 1763.
There is no further record of the Trent land in Albemarle; we don't know what
Henry did with it.
Rockfish Creek and Bremo (Bremore) Creek end just after they run off the edge of
the map. The Hardware River and Slate River go on for miles, but the land
grants were very close to the James (Fluvanna) River.
The Albemarle land grants:
- 1/12/1746 Henry Trent 400 acres on both sides of Rockfish Creek
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 24, 1745-1746, p. 626 (Reel 22)
Library of Virginia)
- 12/1/1748 Henry Trent 175 acres on the south side of
the Fluvanna (James) River. The land is right on the riverbank.
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 27, 1748-1749, p. 20 (Reel 25)
Library of Virginia)
- 6/1/1750 Henry Trent 200 acres on both sides of the
Hardware River
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 29, 1749-1751, p. 183 (Reel 27)
Library of Virginia)
- 9/13/1753 Abraham Childers 200 acres on the south
side of Slate River at Hunt Creek (the little stream at the spot where
the map says Bridgeport)
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 32, 1752-1756, p. 230 (Reel 30)
Library of Virginia)
- 9/13/1753 Abraham Childers 800 acres on the branches
of Bremore and Rockfish Creeks
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 32, 1752-1756, p. 228 (Reel 30)
Library of Virginia)
- 9/10/1755 Henry Trent 14 acres being 3 islands in the
Fluvanna River
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 31, 1751-1756, p. 605 (Reel 29)
Library of Virginia)
- 8/16/1756 Abraham Childres 394 acres on the branches of
Bremore Creek of the Fluvanna
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 33, 1756-1761, p. 84 (Reel 31-32)
Library of Virginia)
- 9/20/1759 Henry Trent 250 acres on the north side of
Hardware River
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 33, 1756-1761, p. 657 (Reel 31-32)
Library of Virginia)
- 8/20/1760 John Trent 334 acres on the branches of
Rockfish Creek. Adjacent to Henry Trent. John had already died at the
time this grant was issued.
(Virginia Land Office
Patents No. 33, 1756-1761, p. 857 (Reel 31-32)
Library of Virginia)
Henry Trent moved to Amherst county sometime between 1760 and 1763. There
is no record of what happened to his Albemarle county lands. He acquired
several parcels in Amherst county.
- 8/5/1763 purchase of 400 acres from William Bryant of Bedford County
at Johns Creek on the north side of Fluvanna
(Amherst County Deed Book A p. 165
FamilySearch
Image 92)
- 9/1/1766 purchase of 400 acres from Jarvis Jackson on both sides of Johns Creek on the
north side of Fluvanna
(Amherst County Deed Book B p. 113
FamilySearch
Image 246)
- 11/3/1766 sale of 113 acres on Johns Creek to Joseph Goodwin
(Amherst County Deed Book B p. 143
FamilySearch
Image 261)
- 9/8/1788 Land grant 4290 acres on the waters of Muddy Creek (son
John Blake Trent is co-owner. John B's share was 1500 acres and
Henry's share was 2790 acres per
Wikitree.)
(Virginia Land Office
Grants No. 18, 1788-1789, p. 602 (Reel 84)
Library of Virginia)
4/9/1794 sale of 2790 acres on Muddy Creek to son Obediah H. Trent
per
Wikitree. The Amherst county deed books don't have this transaction.
4/6/1795 sale of 400 acres at the mouth of Johns
Creek on the north side of
Fluvanna River to John Blake Trent (Henry's
son). The witnesses include Henry's sons-in-law George Goodwin and
Thomas Mitchell.
(Amherst County Deed Book H p. 309
FamilySearch
Image 178).
John sold the land to James Mills on 4/14/1803
(Amherst County Deed Book I p. 536
FamilySearch
Image 617)
4/13/1795 sale of 107 acres on Johns Creek to Thomas
Mitchell (husband of Henry's daughter Eady). His son John B. Trent is one of the
witnesses. The witnesses include his son John B. Trent and sons-in-law
George Goodwin and Dudley Callaway (Amherst County Deed Book H p. 310
FamilySearch
Image 179) This is immediately followed by a deed dated 4/13/1792 where
Archelaus Mitchell sells land in the same area to his son Thomas
Mitchell, with witnesses including Dudley Callaway, George Goodwin and
John B. Trent. Thomas Mitchell sold Henry's former land to Jesse Woodroof on 2/27/1798
(Amherst County Deed Book H p. 315
FamilySearch
Image 180). The witnesses included John B. Trent, a mysterious William M. Trent,
and Henry's son-in-law Dudley Callaway.
4/9/1795 sale of 111 acres adjoining Micajah Goodwin to George Goodwin (husband of Henry's
daughter Sally). This is probably Johns Creek land but the deed doesn't
say so explicitly. His son John B. Trent is one of the
witnesses. (Amherst County Deed Book F p. 517
FamilySearch
Image 604) Goodwin sold the land to Ambrose Rucker Junior on 9/7/1799
(Amherst County Deed Book H p. 592
FamilySearch
Image 319). The witnesses included Jesse Woodroof,
who bought Johns Creek land from two of Henry's sons-in-law.
4/9/1795 sale of 107 acres adjoining Davis and a creek to Dudley Callaway (husband of Henry's
daughter Patty). This is likely Johns Creek land but the deed doesn't
say so explicitly. His son John B. Trent is one of the
witnesses. (Amherst County Deed Book F p. 698
FamilySearch
Image 695). Callaway sold the land to Jesse Woodroof on 9/26/1797(Amherst County Deed Book H p. 249
FamilySearch
Image 148)
Henry's will left his Johns Creek land to his
daughters Eady Mitchell, Sally Goodwin and Patty Callaway (1/3 each).
Eady and Patty were already living on their parcels. The will was
written in 1793, and the land was sold to Henry's sons-in-law in 1795
prior to Henry's death in 1796, making this part of the will moot. The
will left John B. Trent
the tract of land that Henry lived on; this is probably the 400 acres on
Johns Creek that was sold to John B in 1795.
(Wikitree)
|
BACK TO TOP
|
Frederick Trent and
sons. See the
Original Documents
article to view the original property documents and transcriptions of the
relevant text.
 |
 |
|
Area map |
Closeup view |
Frederick Trent is an elusive character (see
separate article), and the only land-ownership record that has been found for
him was the sale of 110 acres to Tryon Gibson in an area called The Cove on July
18, 1807. The parcel had been previously granted to Alse Mann assignee of
Jonathan Prater on June 29, 1796, so Frederick must have bought it sometime
after that date. The Cove is a little-known farming valley, in the area
where the end of Maiden Spring Creek and the beginning of the Little River
occur at more or less the same spot.
Virginia DWR has some information on The Cove, which seems to also be
known as Ward Cove in modern times. A precise definition of
its boundaries doesn't seem to be available, but there are two locations
that seem to be a reasonably good fit for the rather vague survey
description. It's not clear whether the more northern location is actually
within The Cove, so it's assumed that the southern location is more
accurate.In November 1820, Frederick's wife Lydia ordered a survey of 20
acres on Indian Creek in Tazewell County. There are two Indian Creeks in the
area, and it's not clear which creek was involved or exactly where the land
was. Lydia had somehow acquired a treasury warrant giving her the right to
20 acres, but it doesn't look like she completed the process and actually
became the land owner. The family's location seems to have been very
unsettled at this time, with Frederick appearing on the 1820 Cabell County
tax list but not the federal census for the county, and Lydia possibly appearing on the 1820 Pike KY census.
It may
not have been a good time for the family to acquire land in Tazewell County.
 |
|
Logan county land grants |
Frederick's sons and grandsons had numerous land transactions in
Logan County,
primarily on Gilbert Creek and Horsepen Creek. The location of land grants
is shown on the map at left, and there were also a number of land purchases. Humphrey, Eli (Senior), and
Frederick (Junior) are Frederick's sons. Smith, Alexander and Eli (Junior)
are Humphrey's sons; Eli was called Junior because there was an older Eli
Trent in the area - it didn't mean that he was the older Eli's son. The
children of Frederick Junior and Eli Senior had very few land transactions
in this county, and they are not reported in this
article. Neither is Humphrey's daughter Clarissa and her husband Madison
Ellis.
Microfilms of the Logan County land books for 1824-1902 are available
online at
FamilySearch. This is a real estate tax list that shows the property
owners. These records don't always seem to be entirely in sync with the
records for land grants, purchases and sales, but they are a useful
indicator of Trent land ownership in the county. The list below cuts off at
1875, the year in which the last of the Trent landowners moved out of Logan
County. Their land ownership in Logan continued for some time afterward, but
it no longer told us anything about where they lived. There were no Trents
in the Logan County land records for 1824-1829, but they had a continuous
presence in all subsequent years (links to
1830,
1831,
1832,
1833,
1834,
1835, 1836, 1837,
1838, 1839,
1840,
1841,
1842,
1843,
1844,
1845,
1846, 1847, 1848, 1849, 1850,
1851, 1852, 1853,
1854,
1855,
1856, 1857, 1858, 1859, 1860).
A secondary district that started reporting in 1853 had records of Trents for two
years (1853,
1854); after 1854, no Trents were reported in multiple
districts until the state adopted reporting by township around
1865.
Records
are unavailable for 1861-1864, probably because there was a
Civil War going on and West Virginia abruptly became a separate state in the
middle of it.
1866 is too faded to read, although the name Trent is barely
visible. Humphrey Trent had died by March 1866. From 1867 onwards,
the records were reported by township, with Trents regularly appearing in
two townships. Tridelphia Township:
1867,
1869,
1870,
1871,
1872,
1873,
1874,
1875. Magnolia Township:
1867, 1868 too faded to read,
1869,
1870,
1871,
1872,
1873,
1874,
1875. A summary of their
landholdings:
- Humphrey Trent: 37 acres on Sandy River 1830-1836 (apparently his
residence; acquisition documents not located, precise location unknown); 50 acres on
Alum Creek 1836-1838; 12 acres on Alum Creek 1839-1849; 15 acres on Bens
Creek 1836-1849 (apparently his residence); 15 acres on Island
Creek 1847-1854.
Although
Humphrey didn't own any land on Gilbert Creek until 1857, he was recorded in
the area long before that. In 1835 he was a chain bearer for a
survey on Gilbert Creek, about a mile above the mouth of the Twisted Gum
Gap branch of Gilbert Creek. This little branch lies between Bens Creek and
Gilbert Creek.
Horsepen Creek at the Browning Fork was Humphrey's residence from about 1850 to his
death in 1866. The Horsepen land: 25 acres from James Justice
1850-1856; 30 acres from John Smith 1850-1856; new grant for 36 acres
1857-1866; another new grant for 36 acres 1858-1866. Humphrey also received
a grant in 1861 for 120 acres on Horsepen that never appeared on any
property tax report under his name. After Humphrey's death, son Alexander
bought his siblings' share of all the Horsepen land.
Gilbert Creek acquisitions: 57 acres Gilbert Creek (new grant) 1857-1866; another 57 acres Gilbert Creek (new grant) 1858-1866. Humphrey
also received a grant in 1860 for 90 acres on Gilbert Creek that never
appeared on the property tax reports. In 1866, Humphrey's heirs sold 100
acres of this land to David Cline and another 75 acres to Jacob Cline. The
numbers don't quite add up but it's reasonably close. 70 acres Mudlick Fork
Gilbert Creek (new grant) 1859-1872. The Mudlick Fork land went to
Humphrey's son Eli, but the title didn't change until 1872.
[Note: some of the
"new" grants on Horsepen and Gilbert Creek appear to be some sort of
clerical error duplicating the grants received the prior year. New deeds
were issued, but the survey information on both sets of deeds is exactly the
same. Perhaps the first deeds reported only half the acreage so a second set
was needed]
- Eli Trent: 40
acres on Bens Creek 1836-1856. This is Humphrey's brother, not
Humphrey's son.
- Frederick Trent Junior: 48 acres on Gilbert Creek
1848 only. 28 acres on Gilbert Creek from Michael Mounts 1852
only. 23 acres on Gilbert Creek 1853-1874; 235 acres Gilbert
Creek (new grant) 1860-?? (acreage was up to 250 by 1867; not
clear if it's the same tract or a different one); 250 acres
Gilbert Creek 1867-1874. From 1870 onwards the records say that
Frederick lives in McDowell County.
- Smith Trent (Humphrey's son): 58 acres Horsepen Creek from Frederick
Trent 1850-1856; 30 acres Horsepen Creek from Madison Ellis
1852-1860; 27 acres Horsepen Creek 1857-1866 (sold to brother
Alexander at the same time that Alexander bought Humphrey's
Horsepen land).
- Eli Trent Jr (Humphrey's son): 48 acres Gilbert Creek 1857-1860;
50 acres Horsepen Creek 1860-66 (sold to brother Alexander at
the same time that Alexander bought Humphrey's Horsepen land); 55 acres Riffe
Tract Sandy 1866-1872; 57 acres Riffe Tract Sandy 1866-1875; 35
acres Sandy River 1873-1875; 70 acres Mudlick Fork Gilbert Creek
1872-1875. This land previously belonged to father Humphrey
Trent, but title didn't pass to Eli until 1872. [The 1875 report
says that Eli is living in Wayne County; the previous year he
was living in Logan County]
- Alexander Trent (Humphrey's son): 75 acres Buck Creek
1857-1872; 130 acres Browning Fork Horsepen Creek 1860-1875. For
1869-1874: 57 acres two
tracts on Horsepen, 346 acres 4 tracts on Horsepen [Alexander had acquired all
of Humphrey's Horsepen land plus parcels belonging to his brothers]; for
1875: 452 acres 6 tracts on Horsepen Creek [says that Alexander
is living in McDowell County; the previous year he was living in
Logan County].
John Trent of Tazewell County 1759-1824.
See the
Original Documents
article to view the original property documents and transcriptions of the
relevant text.
 |
 |
|
Area map |
Closeup view |
Frederick's brother John never married, and he died without a will in
Tazewell County in 1824. John is only known to have owned one piece of
land: a grant of 200 acres on the north side of Kents Ridge that he
received in 1801. He sold 100 acres of this land to Joseph McGuire in 1811,
and another 40 acres to William McGuire in 1823. He still owned the
remaining 60 acres at his death.
The original surveyor seems to have done a very good job. The
surveys for the parcel sales to the McGuires were less accurate; they don't
match the lines of the 1801 survey, and it took some "cheating" on the
length and angle of one side to make the figures close. But these
surveys give us an idea of what John sold.
|
BACK TO TOP
|
Supplemental information
 |
|
General area map (repeat) |
Other land grants. There are rumors of a 1662 land grant issued to Henry Trent. But no
documentation has been found, and there are details in the claim that match
the 1673 grant. It appears to be the result of confusion about the
date of the 1673 grant.
A James Trent is mentioned in a 1694 grant giving 89 acres
to William Carter near Fones Cliffs on the Rappahannock River. He has no
known relationship to any of the Y-DNA project groups. His will lists
only daughters (Genealogy.com)
so we'll never know what his Y haplotype was.
 |
|
Counties of interest |
Manakin Town. A 1744
tithables list for Manakin Town (aka King William Parish) lists Henry Trent
and Jno. C'k (probably John Cocke) on the same line. The clues point toward
this being Henry 3 (of the Henry 1> Henry 2> Henry 3 line) and
not Henry of Amherst. Both Henrys were in the general vicinity at the time,
but Henry 3 has a known family relationship with the Cockes and Henry of
Amherst does not. John Cocke was the half brother of Alexander 2 (of the
Henry 1> Alexander 1> Alexander 2 line) through their
thrice-married mother Obedience Branch, whose husbands were John Cocke (died
1699), Alexander Trent 1 (died 1703), and Thomas Turpin (died 1724).
Manakin Town was originally established in 1700 as a
Huguenot settlement on the frontier with a 10,000-acre land grant from the
English crown. This grant let the English feel that they were
charitable to French Protestant refugees, while also creating a human shield
between the English settlers and the local indigenous tribes. The settlers
were all French up to 1714, but 24% of the free population had English names
in 1720, and this percentage went up to 44% in 1738. By the time of
the 1744 census, Manakin Town had obviously lost its character as a distinctly
French community. By 1750 the original village had ceased to exist, and its
exact location is currently unknown. (Tobias)
|
BACK TO TOP
BACK TO TOP
|
Article by
Group 2 Trent descendant Carolyn H. 2022 All rights reserved
|
| |